SPACE EXPLORATION MERIT BADGE
Newton's First Law
- An object at rest will remain at rest
- An object in motion will stay in motion - in a straight line, at the same speed
- As long as no force is applied (more accurately, no unbalanced force).
Newton's Second Law
- An objectís acceleration is proportional to the force applied to it.
- The force to accelerate an object is proportional to the objectís mass.
- In equation form, if we call the force "F", the objectís mass "m" and the
acceleration "a", then Newton's Second Law is simply
F = m * a
which is the most famous form of this fundamental principle of physics.
Go To How This Works
Newton's Third Law
- "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
- Go To How To Demonstrate It
Back to Space Exploration Home Page
Your questions and comments regarding this page are welcome.
You can e-mail Randy Culp for inquiries,
suggestions, new ideas or just to chat.
Updated 8 September 2008